1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car advice !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal Issues & Advice' started by Sheila Fits, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Sheila Fits

Sheila Fits Well-Known Member

Hi all

Just wondering if we have any "car" people here.You know both myself and Ev are thick as the wall when it comes to cars and we need to get a new one and dont know where to start or finish.If anyone could offer any advice or guidance I would be very grateful.

At the minute we have a 96 vw vento 1.6 diesel.....and its grand but the mileage is maffis and the body is in shit (bit like myself)...nct is out and I really dont think its worth putting €1000 into it...........

So I want something no bigger then a 1.4 l engine

Dont want a big car but lets be honest meself and him can barely fit in a micra so something bigger then that and I want an nct for at least a year.

Thats it really..... do only about 15 miles a day with an odd trip to dublin/cork

If anyone has any horror stories please dont tell me as I am bad enough

Thanks in advance everyone
  2. irlmbi

irlmbi Well-Known Member

think the car might qualify for the scrappage scheme but I'm not 100% sure on that - here is a link on the toyota offer.
    kingkong likes this.
  3. upandown6

upandown6 making flies walk

it all depends on what kind of money u willin 2 spend, hyundai are a cheap good reliable cars, even tho they feel bit cheaply built they do have jap reliablity, toyota are brilliant but they no longer the cheap cars on the road but again have very good rep 4 bein reliable
    kingkong likes this.
  4. kingkong

kingkong *pure fairy dust

id vote for a 5 door Yaris, loads of room and extremely dependable, regardless of your driving style and lots of interesting extras, i think you can even get ipod
  5. kingkong

kingkong *pure fairy dust

Hyundai are REALLY good too and your sitting that bit higher, if you have a bad back????

time to test drive :D
  6. Serenitatis

Serenitatis Knight Of Cydonia

I have a Hyundai Getz and have never had a problem with it.
  7. Invincible

Invincible You're so gay!

I'm gonna be paying close attention to this thread coz i'm changing my car soon too. I LOVE my 02 Fiat Stilo, but it's after succumbing to Fiat's reputation for unreliability - after years of trouble-free driving.

I haven't a clue what to get though. I've a question. I was looking at a 04 VW Bora. It's got 88,000 miles up on it, which seems a lot. Is high mileage a no-no? Or does it not really affect a car's performance/reliability etc?
  8. Serenitatis

Serenitatis Knight Of Cydonia

VW are are fairly reliable make with a good reputation. As far as the milage that's about 12,500 miles a year which is pretty average really. Is it diesel? If so would be cheaper to run being cheaper than petrol and you may get more mi,es per gallon
  9. opus

opus Well-Known Member

I have to suggest going with Honda or Skoda going by the JD Power car satisfaction surveys.

Attached Files:

10. Slayer

Slayer Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a 06 1.2 Clio and I love her more - not an ounce of bother and she had about 90,000 km on the clock when I got her in May and I've brought up to about 120,000! eek! Fantastic reliable car and she fits a shitload of stuff in her too!

Her name is Daisy :)
  11. upandown6

upandown6 making flies walk

i have 05 avensis with 235000 kms on the clock, 1.8 petrol, still goin like clockwork, most cars now are very good no matter the mileage as long as they are serviced regularly
  12. Sheila Fits

Sheila Fits Well-Known Member

thanks guys and gals
    going to see a few the weekend so will kepp you posted
    xx