1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cork marathon

Discussion in 'Life Is An Odyssey' started by opus, Jan 25, 2010.

1. irlmbi

irlmbi Well-Known Member

Work commitments have got in the way the past week.... and I have been googling 10 week marathon training plans! [:-|]
  2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

The P&D shorter ones are 12 weeks so maybe you could hop onto one of them? I could photocopy one for you if you like.

Three weeks from next Sunday is d-day for me!
  3. irlmbi

irlmbi Well-Known Member

Cheers Opus - I seem to be back on track after today's LSR.

Did 14miles - pretty slow but waddled my way around!

63 days left to go! [:-|]
  4. DGM

DGM Whatev's

I had some tiny terrier go for my ankles on Sunday.
    Then passing the same location on the way back a young girl got a bit wobbly on her bike and nearly cycled into me. Dangerous stuff.

Then I reached my mileage for the day....and I was 2miles from home. D'oh.

How was the stewarding on Sunday, Opus?
  5. amnesiac

amnesiac It gets better

My Achilles tendon has not recovered so I won't be completing the marathon in June.

Gutted.
  6. LittleTimmy

LittleTimmy Ireland's Top Gay

Sorry to hear that - is it likely that you will recover soon?
  7. DGM

DGM Whatev's

That's tough to hear Amnesiac. On the plus side, you'll have the long weekend free.
  8. irlmbi

irlmbi Well-Known Member

Sry to hear that Amnesiac - perhaps the half or Dublin full in October?
  9. opus

opus Well-Known Member

It was grand, was collecting cash beforehand and then hanging around Sunday's Well before the start & then by the Kingsley at the finish. I'll reserve my rant for all the people who paid their €8 entry fee using €50 notes :mad:

Pretty big turnout, well over 500 runners.

Really sorry to hear that, sign up for Dublin now so that you'll have something to aim for later on in the year, that way you'll be able to build on the training you've done already.
    1 person likes this.
  10. amnesiac

amnesiac It gets better

Ultrasound on Thursday showed thickening and a nice pocket of fluid surrounding the tendon where the nasty bump is but no tears in the tendon itself which is good. Unfortunately there really is not much I can do to speed up the recovery apart from rest. I can swim and cycle no problem and hopefully in a another couple of weeks I'll be able to introduce some short runs but I would not be able to complete the necessary long runs and milage for the CCM. Aiming for the half is the sensible option I think; I could probably take a good chunk out of the time I set last year which would be something good to aim for! I don't plan on trying the Dublin marathon as I have some pretty major exams in September and November which will be occupying me that time of year.

Thanks for the support though! A lot of my friends don't realise how disappointing this is for me.
    opus and admin like this.
  11. LittleTimmy

People who don't run don't get how consuming it is. It might not be a good thing perhaps but it is what it is.

Best of luck with the recovery.
  12. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Mahers have a free marathon & road running seminar coming up for anyone interested, they normally hand out a discount voucher, some free stuff & have the odd spot prize as well. Details below:

irlmbi likes this.
  13. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Great advice from the Paris marathon mag....

[​IMG]

I forgot the two bandages for my tits last year but a local chemist sorted me out :cry:
    irlmbi likes this.
  14. irlmbi

irlmbi Well-Known Member

Bumped into Little Timmy the other evening and he seems to be doing good with the training!

I've missed a week due to tonsillitis and work commitments and I'll be away for 2 weeks in May with work trips. Defo will be packing the running shoes but probably will be doing shorter runs in a gym.

Taking a half day today and going to try and do 15m / 18m - I'd be happy to get through it and not too worried about a time at this stage.

Its half marathons from here on out!
  15. DGM

DGM Whatev's

I've seen a poster at the bus stop and a co-worker said there's some signs about for water stations. Its close.

I've used up my spare week (work) so it really is just 6 weeks to go now.

The night time races are back. yay.
    Did the Ballintotis 4m on Thursday night. Large turnout & random hotties. Started too far back so there was a lot of zig zagging through people for the first mile.

Run today featured sun, wind, rain, hailstone...a bit of everything really.
  16. irlmbi

irlmbi Well-Known Member

Went to run 15m over the weekend and ended up doing 10m as my left leg was not even bending.
    Did physio on Tuesday - i seem to have done something to my hamstring - told to take it easy for another few days.
    Tried an easy 5km this morning and limped back - doing more physio tomorrow.
  17. LittleTimmy

Did 21 miles last Sunday- aiming to do 23 next week and put some shorter runs inbetween. The miles are clocking up but are taking their toll at this stage.
    admin and irlmbi like this.
  18. DGM

DGM Whatev's

My mother has been saying for the last few weeks when I'm going out for the long runs, "don't kill yourself". Always found it a bit odd considering of what's to come. Apparently she never knew I was doing the marathon. Like I'd be running that long on a Sat for fun, ha.

How's the hamstring Irlmbi?

Is a cold bath, technically a cold bath if one adds some hot water beforehand?
  19. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Happy to report I survived the London marathon the w/end before last, took a week's holidays & got back out for an easy jog this evening. Sounds like everyone is well on track for Cork, must try and figure out what I should do between now & June 4th, guess doing nothing wouldn't be the best idea ;)
  20. LittleTimmy

How did you get on?