1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Cinema

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by donnie, Jul 6, 2006.

1. donnie

donnie New Member

After watching the brilliant film C.R.A.Z.Y. in the cinema recently (out on DVD in August by the way) went in search of any other good gay themed films (there's a lot of crap out there it seems). Thought I'd share the good ones i've come across and wondered if anyones seen anything worth watching.

Beautiful Thing(Young love set in housing estate in London - best there is,after CRAZY of course)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115640/
    My Beautiful Laundrette(really like it, two lads do up a laundromat, one of whom is Daniel Day Lewis.)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091578/
    Trick (it’s quite entertaining if you’re not excepting much. The two leads are also cute)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162710/

So anything I'm missing out on?? Also recently ordered Edge of Seventeen but it hasn’t arrived yet.
  2. bi4fship

bi4fship Auntie Mame

I love a Beautiful Thing, I was only watching it last night. I must get it on DVD as I've only it recorded off the tv when it first aired on Ch4. I've the script of both the screenplay & the stage version.
  3. Cinaed

Cinaed Gleek

i love Mambo Italiano. Great film! It's like My Big Fat Greek Wedding except...gay...and italian.

'All About My Mother' is a great Spanish Language film. If you don't mind subtitles I'd definately recommend that, as well as 'Nico y Dani'.

Aaaaaand the fabulous, amazing, genius 'Transamerica'. It's awesome.

..stay away from Breakfast on Pluto though...weirdest film I've ever seen.

Edit: hehe, 'Trick' sounds cute! If you like campy films, there's also 'Eating Out' with the hot gay gardener from Desperate Housewives. Not incredibly deep, but fun nonetheless!
  4. spiller

spiller Well-Known Member

I agree wif cinaed Mambo Italiano is fantastic!

Latter days is also an excellent film. Dont forget Breakfast on Pluto and Brokeback mountain.
  5. louislestat

louislestat Queen Bee

The best of the lot is 'Torch song trilogy' it blows the competition out of the water! The ultimate gay movie
  6. macker

macker New Member

"Yossi & Jagger" is a beautiful film about two Israeli soldiers,(based on a true story).
    I also enjoyed "Bad Education" . Other great GLBT movies(to broaden the theme) are "Boys Don't Cry" and "Monster".[:-B]
  7. joeohara

joeohara Well-Known Member

My beautiful laundrette is a load of wank. I agree with louis torch song trilogy is very good.
  8. spiller

Just watched relax.. its just sex and i must say i loved it! fantastic
  9. donnie

donnie New Member

Rented Mambo Italiano last night. I liked it, very funny, much better than My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Wasn't mad about the ending though. Didn’t like the guy your man ended up with (I think that was vague enough not to ruin it)
  10. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

love that move, though it years since i saw it :p
  11. apollo

apollo New Member

"Latter Days" about a gay Mormon is supposed to be good.
  12. candlemansa

candlemansa bringer of light

probably one of the best gay movies is a very little known one called
    BIG EDEN
    Big Eden was an experiment movie set in a small american town where prejuidice just doesn't exist allowing for a really tender beautiful love story to develope. Its a must for any gay collection.
    Another really good film is called 'The broken hearts club'. Its stars Dean Cain and the main guy from Scrubs, its light hearted but there are some very emotional scenes.
    For the women especially there is a beautiful film called 'If these walls could talk 2' it stars Michelle Williams, Sharon Stone, Ellen DeGeneres, Chloe Servigni and the multi talented Vanessa Redgrave, it crosses three different time periods and focuses on how lesbian life has changed.
    I also recently saw a gay slasher movie called HellBent, pure rubbish but the guys are cute and theres a really cool scene involving an eye but I won't say anymore.;)
  13. chatelaine

chatelaine Well-Known Member

We got it on DVD courtesy of adventice.com

Such a brilliant movie!
  14. joeohara

It's really not. Think fair city style acting with american accents :D

Big Eden was very sweet.

Breakfast on pluto was a very strange film although it gets bonus points for having the line "father are you playing squidgy with the fairy liquid"
  15. spiller

Cockles And Mussels looks brilliant and is the Kino from August 4th!
  16. LittleTimmy

LittleTimmy Ireland's Top Gay

Latter Days had the awful acting though overall it was a nice film. Plus it had a naked Steve Sandvoss which is always good.
  17. Invincible

Invincible You're so gay!

I saw a french film last year called Presque Rien - it was on channel 4 and i really enjoyed it. Tis about a young guy who falls in love with a local boy while on holidays. The actors are both very cute and its quite touching.
  18. joeohara

Was he the mormon fella or the hand flapping queen?
  19. louislestat

louislestat Queen Bee

He's the Mormon guy:D
  20. joeohara

Sordid lives is another good movie. Not really a gay theme but it does have a mental patient who thinks he is tammy wynette and olivia notit john