1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens when we die?

Discussion in 'Life Is An Odyssey' started by Carraigrock, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Carraigrock

Carraigrock Blah Blah Blah

Not meant to be a depressing thread at all, nor is it aimed to start a religious debate;
    Going to steal a Gay Byrne question here and ask, what in your opinion happens when we die?

My thoughts on it seem to change a little bit whenever I think about it, but I'm pretty sure I still don't really know.

Whether you're buried or cremated your body is going to be dust/soil eventually anyway...but what happens the spirit? Is there even a spirit? Where does the energy inside go to? Does it just disappear?

That's the bit I'm unsure of.

But I'm pretty sure we don't float up to the sky to go knocking at the pearly gates...o_O
  2. Invincible

Invincible You're so gay!

I vascillate between an afterlife and zero. That's all I can say!
    moroder likes this.
  3. jimjam

jimjam Geronimo!

I've always wanted to believe in the pearly gates or some other version of heaven, but then logic and reasoning takeover.

I used to have this romantic belief that the energy just disappears back into the universe.

I always loved this description of death from the Return Of The King.
    Basically we just have to wait and see.
    1 person likes this.
  4. XenviK

XenviK Cynical S.o.B.

My belief is simply that there is no afterlife, no pearly gates and no Saint Peter there as a greeter. All shall fade to black and I will be conscious no longer.

It is kind of blunt to say it, but on the other hand it just makes me want to live the life I have right now to the full as much as possible. And that's good enough for me. :)
  5. moroder

moroder Well-Known Member

I'm kind of subscribing to a mix of Judeo-Christian and Buddhist beliefs in that we go to some form of afterlife for a period, and then we are reincarnated taking what we learned in this life with us and that goes on for aeons! But I still have doubts but I firmly believe there is definitely more to just this life. If you consider the proposed age of the universe in comparison to the average life span of 77 years life, this life is only a blip in time!
  6. falcon

falcon The Lord Regent

Its all energy!!

Energy cannot be created or destroyed only changed from one form to another...

Therefore I believe when we die that our energy is transferred into other things..and thus we are reborn in some other form

i.e: you die..your energy goes into plants..animals eat plants//humans eat animals..humans make babies...

its a never ending cycle

so I suppose I believe in a form of pseudo scientific reincarnation
    twoleggedfrog and fair_bad like this.
  7. twoleggedfrog

twoleggedfrog God's nightmare

Wait. I was promised virgins, wine and hash. :(
  8. Irishmaestro

Irishmaestro Walking contradiction

Nothing a trip to Thailand won't fix. :p

But yeah, obviously, nobody actually knows what happens after you die. So, therefore, neither do I. I do have a feeling, though, that there is 'something' (very much for want of a better word). I don't really interpret very much about my religious beliefs literally at all any more. These days, I see heaven as a symbol for a concept that is beyond words - a form of being that transcends even existence itself. It's a concept that's very difficult to articulate - for me, symbols like heaven or the soul work best at describing it. After all, it's not much good to have a concept that's impossible to describe.

So yeah, in an annoyingly long-winded sort of way, I do believe in the\an 'afterlife' - that which is beyond life. I don't know what it is, really, I trust (in God, if you will) that it will be good, and I try not to worry about it.

Good to see a thread where we can talk about these things without starting a flame-war. Awesome! ^__^
    Dukeboxgeorge, Cully and Invincible like this.
  9. fair_bad

fair_bad Well-Known Member

Death scares me more than anything else. I lie awake often for hours, with a pain in my chest, even finding it hard to breathe at the thought. I've been lucky enough that no one close to me has ever died and I don't know what I'd do if I did, because I know there's nothing after this. My physical body might decompose and become a plant etc but my conciousness is gone. So scary.
  10. Shiva

Shiva is a volcano of glitter!

We should never have left you on your own in Leeds! :D

What I believe, and I have not put a lot of attention into the matter, we are who we are - not a damn thing we can do to change that.

Is there an afterlife? I don't know, but all I can do is live my life as I see fit. If there is such a thing as God, or Karma then your life will reflect that. But if there was a entity that would have created us, then surely they would have the opinion that we should live our own lives as we see fit. If they can create life then they must be enlightened, otherwise they would have exterminated those that did not agree with their own way of thinking.

I do not want to tell you how to live your life, but think about it.

However fill it with the people that you love and that love you back :)

Back on topic. Is there an afterlife? I would like to think there is, energy is energy, and despite all rumors I do respect everyone and their beliefs. not much of an answer, but that's who I am :).
  11. mack

mack Well-Known Member

I can't think of anything worse in this life then being told you are diagnosed with terminal cancer or the like and you have such a time to live.
    That must be absolutely.....i actually don't know what. It depresses me to think about it and my heart goes out to people who are told that.
    Death is something I don't even want to try and think about..it reminds me of when my uncle died a few years ago from throat cancer and the last words he said to my father was that he was scared to die even though he knew it was coming...ugh this is morbid.
  12. PhonyMcRingRing

PhonyMcRingRing Model, Sex God, genius and compulsive liar

Terminal cancer I think I could deal with. The worst case scenario for me would be finding out I had something like motor neurone disease, where your mind is still sharp as a tack but your body fails. That scares the shit out of me. :( Watched a documentary recently with Colm Murray (the RTE News sports broadcaster) who was diagnosed with it about a year ago. To see him go from being a healthy man in his 50's to an absolute shell was so sad. :(

As for the afterlife, I don't there's much point in speculating. No-one knows if there's a heaven, reincarnation or nothingness, so why bother speculating? It just wastes time and energy. I would love if there was an afterlife, and I could see my two beloved grandmothers again (one of whom died last October, the other died in June 2007 when I was doing my Leaving Cert) but there's no point in me speculating and pinning my hopes to that.

I take the same apathetic stance with this kind of stuff that I do with religion; I don't know and I don't care. Apatheism ftw...
  13. Cully

Cully Well-Known Member

I think there is something but what it is i'm not sure.o_O I don't believe in St. Peter and the gates of Heaven etc and that's after studying theology for a few years, but i digress.

I like to think that we are reincarnated in some form i.e. animal, plant. If i,m not I sure will be pissed off, i want to have another go at this and maybe get it right the next time around!!
  14. Goldenprincess

Goldenprincess Active Member

It's one thing I stopped thinking about when I started working in a nursing home, now I have no idea what will happen when I die

I have a massive fear of death anyway so as long as its quick and not a long slow process like alzheimers, dementia or a motor neuron disease I'm ok with it
  15. irlmbi

irlmbi Well-Known Member

I don't know really..... I like the thought of an after-life but dont really believe that there is anything.

Sure we'll see!
  16. amnesiac

amnesiac It gets better

It's a mystery. The prospect of my own mortality use to frighten me a lot when I was younger but I don't seem to fixate on it as much anymore. I do like the idea of my corpse being cremated and the ashes being spread at sea.
  17. PeterMcK

PeterMcK La filette revolutionaire

It was Chesterton I believe who said 'Do you have a soul? What a ridiculous question! You ARE a soul. You HAVE a body!'

... but this is a digression. I am perfectly happy to leave off learning about the Great Hereafter until the time comes. I trust my God and if all we get is a peaceful oblivion then that's perfectly fine, though I suspect there is more. We shall see I suppose (or else not).

If you don't mind me asking, what got you thinking about this? Hope all is well...
  18. Carraigrock

Carraigrock Blah Blah Blah

No need to worry :p- I was just watching Gay Byrne's interview with Tesco Mary on "The Meaning of Life" on the RTE Player and I thought it'd be an interesting idea for a thread.
    It's a quality programme actually. His interview with Bob Geldof was great I thought.
    I guess everyone, no matter who they are has their own thoughts and feelings on the matter.

Some believe that we stand before God and are judged and some go to Hell or to purgatory. Personally I don't believe that at all.
    We are judged by our actions on this Earth through other peoples opinions and through history. I do believe evil exists but if there is something like Heaven then even the most evil person gets the chance to go there....Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot....
    They'll all be judged by history, not by a deity of any sort. At the end of the day, I believe wherever we go, if anywhere...it's all to the same place.

I'm liking the idea of energy just being distributed into nature though...
  19. Philums

Philums Active Member

I'm not really sure. I have my own beliefs right now. I love watching documentaries about the big bang, birth of stars and planets. A bit of it goes over my head =P ! But its still very interesting stuff.
  20. amnesiac

amnesiac It gets better